What is an Explainer Video?
An explainer video is a short video to explain an idea or subject visually in motion picture format. Use of an explainer video has become a common practice in buying leads for a business product or service. Also it’s a new way of branding and educating about a product or service. A plethora of new products or businesses is launched everyday all over the world. An explainer video is always a savior to convey the business message the easiest way possible in a short period of time.
Why are explainer videos so popular?
- Video engagement is higher for online users as opposed to reading texts, due to shorter attention span.
- Video helps in easy understanding. Sometimes, no text or translation is required to understand a subject in an explainer video.
- Explainer videos can be made at a low budget.
- Above all, explainer videos do not require a real human or an expensive and tiring background setting.
Types of explainer videos
- 2D Animation (illustration of 2-dimensional objects in motion picture format)
- 3D Animation (illustration of 3-dimensional objects in motion picture format)
- Whiteboard Animation (a visual storytelling on a whiteboard using a marker pen)
- Kinetic typography (an animated video using texts put into action)
- Infographic motion picture. (visual data, graphs and charts turning into a video format)
- Screencast video (a recorded video using a webcam or computer screen or both)
- Live action video (storytelling using small live action clips of real human, nature, and real activities such as running, singing, blossoming etc.)
- Stop motion video (a sequence of a moving object captured one frame at a time)
- Testimonial video (a video containing a real human/ customer giving reviews of a product)
- Explainer medley (explainer video made using more than one specific format)
Common traits to create a compelling explainer video
- Good storytelling (script).
- Creative yet simple illustration.
- Professional voice-overs.
- Choice of animated characters of right niche.
- Right background music.
- Short in size.
Examples of Different explainer videos